Care and Maintenance for your Vinyl Floor
To keep the lasting shine and fresh feel of your vinyl floor for as long as possible, we recommend the following care and maintenance tips.
- Wipe up spills as soon as possible. Remove dried spills by applying floor cleaner to a white cloth.
- Wash your floor occasionally with a no-rinse floor cleaner (ex. Armstrong’s Once & Done).
- When moving appliances or heavy furniture, lay a plywood panel on your floor and “walk” the item across it. This protects your floor from scuffing and tears.
- Use floor protectors on furniture to reduce indentation.
- Rolling casters can easily damage the vinyl floor. We do not recommend them, but if you choose to use them, the double wheel “barrel” types are the best options.
- Use a walk-off mat at outside entrances to reduce the amount of dirt brought into your home. Rubber or latex-backed mats can permanently stain your floor so we suggest a non-staining vinyl-backed mat or a woven rug that is colorfast.
- After years of wear you might need to use a floor stripper (ex. Armstrong’s New Beginnings) and cleaner for heavy-duty cleaning.
- Use floor polish (ex. Armstrong’s Shine Keeper) to return your floor’s original shine if it begins to dull over time.
- Do not use detergents, abrasive cleaners or “mop and shine” products as they may leave a dull film on your floor.
- Do not use paste wax or solvent-based polishes.
- Do not use a beater bar when vacuuming because it can visibly damage the floor surface.
- Do not use highly abrasive scrubbing tools.