Your Carpet Shopping Guide
Choosing the best carpet is really about finding the right combination of aesthetics, performance and budget to best meet the needs of your lifestyle. Here are a few items to consider when shopping for the right carpet for your home.
BE AWARE OF SEAM PLACEMENT
Carpet is available in 12’, 15’ and sometimes 13’6” widths. Unless the room to be carpeted is narrower than these widths, the carpet will be seamed. With looped or low-profile patterned carpet you may have visible or peaked seams. The degree of their visibility depends on texture, color, lighting and furniture placement.
QUALITY = DURABILITY
Higher quality carpet will typically have greater pile density, and tighter twist construction, which will result in better durability. There are six major factors that will impact the durability of carpet:
- The type of fiber.
- The ounces of fiber per yard.
- The density (measured per yard)
- The Twist Level (measured in number of revolutions an individual yard is spun around itself.
- Padding (which supports the carpet)
- Maintenance (Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum)
Color has a big impact on any room in the home. Carpet covers a large area of any room, so it’s important to keep some basic rules in mind when selecting your carpeting.
An important consideration about carpet color is that once a carpet is installed in a new home, it will often look lighter than the sample you saw in the store. This is a natural optical effect and you should be aware of this when making a carpet color selection.
Another thing to keep is mind is how the color of carpet affects the mood and feeling of room. Color affects the way we perceive size.
Light colors reflect light and open up a space, making it appear larger, while darker colors make a space feel cozier and more intimate.
If you want to liven up a space try using warm colors. Warm colors are the colors of the sun (reds, oranges, and yellows). These colors are conducive to energy and activity.
Neutral colors are the best choice if you expect to frequently change the decorating scheme, or if you’re trying to incorporate a lot of existing furniture. Using a neutral colored, good quality carpet is a good idea if the home will be resold any time soon. It’s easier for a prospective buyer to imagine their furniture in a room that is decorated with neutral colors.
PADDING INCREASES THE LIFE OF YOUR CARPET
You’ve probably heard that a good padding will increase the life of a carpet. Well, you’re right! We strongly feel that high quality padding is essential when purchasing carpet. We recommend an eight pound density rebond padding, we have found it to be the most resilient padding on the market.
If your home is prone to spills from pets or children you might want to consider a padding with a built-in spill guard and enzyme protection. These 2nd generation pads have vapor barriers which keep liquids from penetrating the padding (where you can’t clean up the spill) & enzyme treatments which help neutralize odor causing germs.
For more information on care and maintenance for your carpet, click here.
Stainmaster Plus Visco ~ is the best padding on the market. It has an enzyme treatment and a breathable vapor barrier which help protect against mold, mildew, and reoccurring stains. But, best of all, it is extremely comfortable.
POPULAR BENEFITS OF CARPET
- Carpet adds warmth and is soft under feet and easier on children’s knees.
- Carpet is much quieter than hard surfaces floors.
- Carpet comes in a wide variety of colors, tones and hues.
- Carpet is easy to decorate with and offers many styles and colors allowing it to be the focus of the room or the perfect foundation for your furniture and accessories.
- Carpet can hide many sub-floor irregularities that would not be permitted with hard surfaces floors.
- Carpet can go over a variety of substrates and on all grade levels, even concrete slabs in basements.
- Carpet is economical and is generally less expensive than hard surface products.